Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"My Friends"



John McCain used the speech crutch, "my friends," way too many times last night. I know John McCain. When he becomes really irritated with the situation in which he finds himself, he uses the phrase frequently. But it helps if you know what he is really saying.

I have known John McCain since the mid-1970s and observed his use of "my friend" or the plural "my friends" for many years. So, try to think of it this way: the next time you hear him say, "my friend," please know he is really saying, "you idiot," as in "Listen, you idiot, I will explain my energy plan once more." And when he says, "my friends," he is really saying, "you stupid people," as in "You stupid people, I am best qualified to lead this nation."

If you substitute "you idiot" or "you stupid people" each time you hear him say "my friends," you will have a much better idea of what he really means. But don't take my word for it, ask the people even closer, the staff of his campaign what they think he means.

Addendum:

Every time John McCain speaks publicly, I get requests for help in clarifying his words and his style of speaking. He has never been the most dynamic speaker on the circuit, a fact that is obvious to all who have witnessed his attempts to connect with the American voter. If you are among those sometimes wondering what to make of his public utterances, here is a repeat of the primer I posted in June:

1. When McCain is blinking, he does not believe what he is saying.

2. When his eyes are blinking so fast they seem to flutter and he is smiling, he has no idea what he is talking about but he hopes you are buying it anyway.

3. When he is staring blankly into the camera without blinking, he desperately wants you to believe what he is saying and he hopes you will take it to the bank without further questions.

4. When he furrows his brow and squints darkly into the audience as a question is being asked, he is praying………….for an answer, any answer, to occur to him.

5. Of course, if you happen to engage him in conversation, be wary of any sentence beginning with, “My friend,” for at that point in the conversation he is not thinking of you as his friend.

Enough said.



No comments: