Thursday, May 1, 2008

Five Years Ago Today

As Bush 43 sauntered up to the microphone on the deck of the USS Lincoln, sniffed the air out of the side of his nose, and cast that “I’m so proud of myself” eye around the gathered sailors, one could almost taste an impending public relations disaster.

When he said “the United States and our allies have prevailed” in the war in Iraq, I immediately called to my wife who was in the next room. “Come here, quickly. You have to see this!” She ran into the room wondering why she had to drop everything and come. “It is not often one gets to see a major political figure – not to mention the leader of the free world – make a huge political mistake live and in living color on national television," I explained.

We both watched in rapt attention…..but as he finished I had a terrible sense of sadness. Anyone with a modicum of understanding of the history of the Middle East knew the President – our President – was wrong, that plenty of long hard days lay ahead for our troops and our nation. No one could imagine it would last this long. May 1, 2003 was a sad day for America. But so is today.

No comments: