Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The American people spoke in November...

My good friend, Joe Fab, makes a good point, and as always, with a good sense of humor. I'm pleased to share his thoughts with you:

How many times have you heard: "The American people spoke in November and we heard them loud and clear..." followed by whatever large or small agenda item the speaker wishes to take the liberty of throwing the weight of "the American people" behind.

Fact is, the American people voted for as many different reasons as there are voters. They didn't get together and say with a single voice: "Hi, it's us -- the 32,000 voters of Pokey Precinct here in Nebraska! Just want you to know that we've talked about it and the reason we're voting for Cooper for Congress is because we all want him to defund EPA regulations. Yep, all 32,000 of us!"

This kind of claim might have been acceptable now and then for making a general point when politicians were reasonable and embraced compromise (you remember those days). But now it's crazy talk -- one more example of hyperbolic righteousness. I've had it with this particular ploy!

I hope Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert or Bill Maher will join me in ridiculing this rhetorical ruse as follows:

"The American people spoke in November and I heard them loud and clear... everyone must pick up after their dog!" or "TAPSINAIHTLAC... so I WILL lose 5 pounds by Memorial Day!" or better yet "TAPSINAIHTLAC... so I won't believe anything a politician says if it begins with TAPSINAIHTLAC!"

No comments: